- CONTEST PERIOD: The 2017 National Tree Day Challenge Contest (the "Contest") commences at 11:00:00 PM (EDT) on August 23, 2017 and will end at 4:59:59 PM (EDT) on October 1, 2017 (the "Contest Period"). All entries must be received by 4:59:59 PM (EDT) on October 1, 2017 (the ""Contest Closing Date"). A day (a "Day") is defined as each day during the Contest Period starting at 12:00:00 am (EDT) and ending at 11:59:59 PM (EDT) except for the first day (August 23, 2017) where the day commences at 11:00:00 PM (EDT) and ends at 11:59:59 PM (EDT) and the last day (October 1, 2017) where the day commences at 12:00:00 AM (EDT) and ends at 4:59:59 PM (EDT). The Contest computer system (the “Contest computer”) is used to govern all computer and time-related aspects of the Contest and, among other things, is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
- ELIGIBILITY: To enter the Contest and be eligible to win the Prize a person (an “entrant”) must: (a) be a legal resident of Canada; (b) located in Canada; (c) have reached the age of majority in his/her province/territory of residence at the time of entry; (d) have and use only one (1) valid e-mail address to participate in the Contest. Employees, officers, and directors (and those with whom such persons are domiciled, whether related or not and members of their immediate families and of the same household) of Tree Canada, ("Sponsor"), Fairmont Raffles Hotels International Inc. (FRHI), their affiliates (including, without limitation, their parent, sister and subsidiary companies), advertising or promotional agencies, prize suppliers or suppliers of materials or services related to the Contest are not eligible to participate in this Contest. For these Official Rules, "immediate family" means mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter and spouse, including common law spouse, regardless of where they reside. The Sponsor shall have the right at any time to require proof of identity and/or eligibility to participate in the Contest. Failure to provide such proof may result in disqualification.
All personal and other information requested by and supplied to the Sponsor for the purpose of the Contest must be truthful, complete, accurate and in no way misleading. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to disqualify any entrant, should such an entrant at any stage supply untruthful, incomplete, inaccurate or misleading personal details and/or information. All entries must be submitted by the individual entrant and not by another person on the entrant’s behalf. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest and the awarding of any Prize. Groups, clubs, organizations, business and commercial and non-commercial entities cannot participate.
- HOW TO ENTER: No Purchase Necessary. To enter visit nationaltreeday.ca.
To plant a tree, entrants will first be required to register. Once registered an entrant must plant a tree in order to receive an entry for the chance to win the prize as define in Rule 5 below.
- STEP 1: REGISTERING:
- FIRST TIME VISITORS: Select “Register Now”. Complete the two-part online registration form with: (i) your first and last name, postal code, year of birth and tick either the opt in box to start receiving updates and news by email from Tree Canada or tick “No Thanks, I don’t like trees very much but I would like to enter the Contest” box and select “Continue”; (ii) enter your complete mailing address, daytime telephone number, confirm your e-mail address. Read the Official Rules, tick the box to confirm that you have read, and understood and agree to abide by the Official Rules. Optional, tick the box to indicate that you would like to start receiving updates and news by email from Tree Canada. Select “Submit”. NOTE: All opt-ins to receive future information are optional and will not affect your chances of winning. Upon receipt of a successful registration, you will proceed to Step 3c - “Plant a Tree” webpage.
- STEP 2: LOG IN
- RETURNING VISITORS: Enter your e-mail address and select “Login”. Upon receipt you will be brought to Step 3c - “Plant a Tree” webpage.
- STEP 3: HOW TO RECEIVE AN ENTRY - PLANT A TREE
- To submit an entry, with your mouse click on the “seed” and drag the “seed” into the earth. Release your mouse with the seed in the earth area watch your “seed” grow into a tree.
- Upon successfully planting a tree, you will receive a “Thank you for entering, you have received one (1) entry into the Contest” message.
- LIMIT OF NUMBER OF ENTRIES: Limit of one (1) registration per person during the Contest Period. Limit of one (1) entry per person, per Day during the Contest Period. For greater certainty a person may only use one (1) first and last name, address, postal code, telephone number, and e-mail address to participate in the Contest. Any person who is found to have registered and entered the Contest with more than one (1) first and last name, address, postal code, telephone number, and e-mail address or who is found to have entered more than once (1) per Day will be disqualified and all such entries received by such person during the Contest Period will be disqualified and no prize will be awarded to such person. Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures etc) or attempted transmission of a submission or of attempted submission of any communication, does not constitute proof of delivery or receipt by the Contest computers. Registrations and entries generated by script, macro, robotic, programmed, or any other automated means are prohibited and will be disqualified. The Sponsor will not be responsible for late, lost, illegible, falsified, damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete entries, which will be void. All entries become the property of the Sponsor upon receipt and none will be returned.
- PRIZE: One (1) prize is available to be won and consists of a three (3) night stay at Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, in Banff, Alberta, in a standard room (Fairmont room) based on double occupancy. If the Sponsor determines that the winner resides further than six hours driving distance to Banff, AB, the winner will be provided with two (2) round trip economy airfare tickets departing from the Canadian International airport closest to the winner’s residence to Calgary, Alberta; return economy ground transfer from Calgary International airport to Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, AB. Approximate retail value of the prize with Airfare is $4,500.00 CDN based on a St. John’s, Newfoundland departure. Actual retail value may vary depending on departure date and departure city. If the Sponsor determines that the winner resides within six hours driving distance to Banff, AB, the winner will be provided with $300.00 CDN to go towards the cost of gas and parking at the hotel in lieu of the round trip economy airfare. Approximate retail value of the prize without airfare is $1,800.00 CDN. Travel must be completed by September 30, 2018. The Winner must provide at least sixty (60) days advance notice of desired travel date and/or stay. The prize is subject to availability at the time of reservations and is subject to blackout dates (such as Christmas, New Year's, March break, Spring Break, Easter, and the month of July for Calgary Stampede). The winner and his/her travel guest must be Canadian residents to qualify for the prize. The Sponsor will select, in its sole and absolute discretion, the air carrier. Once the date of the trip has been confirmed, no alternative travel date or changes are permitted. The winner can extend his/her trip at his/her own expense which includes any costs associated with the actual cost of the airfare tickets for the three (3) night stay versus the extended stay. The winner and his/her travel guest must each have valid travel documents prior to ticketing and travel (note: the winner and his/her travel guest accept full responsibility for obtaining these documents at their sole expense). The winner and his/her travel guest must travel on the same itinerary. A minimum of one (1) person, either the winner or the travel guest, must hold a valid credit card to cover any incidentals or any other requirement that may be required at the hotel or by the air carrier. Ground transfers to and from the winner and/or travelling guest’s residence and designated airport and all other expenses not specified herein including but not limited to: meals, telephone or fax, gratuities, baggage costs, optional tours, taxes and fees, insurance, medical travel documents, personal expenses, and any other costs not specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the winner and his/her travel guest. Any special dietary requests must be made upon booking, and Releasees (defined below) takes no responsibility for meeting such requests. It is recommended that the winner and travel guest obtain sufficient personal insurance, including medical insurance, prior to departure. No frequent flyer miles will be available. The Sponsor does not make any representations or warranty regarding the prize. The Sponsor is not liable if the winner and/or his/her travel guest are refused access to a plane. If, for any reason, travel is delayed, impeded or refused by the Canadian authorities, prize may be forfeited (in whole or in part) and winner and/or his/her travel guest will be responsible for any additional expenses incurred. Prize must be accepted as awarded without substitution and is not transferable or for resale and has no cash surrender value. The Sponsor reserves the right, in the event that the prize or any component of the prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason, to substitute a similar prize or a component of the prize of equal or greater value without liability. The approximate retail value of the prize is that stated by the prize supplier(s) as being in effect sixty (60) days prior to the launching of this Contest.
- DRAW: A random draw will be held to award the prize from all eligible entries received by the Contest Closing Date on October 12, 2017 at approximately 11:00 AM (EDT) in Oakville, ON. Odds of being selected for the prize will depend on the total number of eligible entries received on or before the Contest Closing Date. The selected entrant will be contacted by e-mail within five (5) business days of the draw date. In the event that the selected entrant cannot be contacted within five (5) business days by e-mail, the selected entrant will be disqualified, and his/her entitlement to receive the prize will be forfeited and an alternate eligible entrant will be randomly selected from the remaining eligible entries received and the above process will be repeated. As a condition of being declared a winner the selected entrant must first correctly answer without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a mathematical skill-testing question to be administered by e-mail or on the Form as defined in Rule 7 below. In the event that the selected entrant incorrectly answers the mathematical skill-testing question, he/she will be disqualified and another entrant will be randomly selected and the above process will be repeated. This process will be repeated until such time as there is one (1) confirmed prize winner (the “Winner”), and/or no more eligible entries are available.
- RELEASE FORM: The selected entrant must print, complete by hand and return by email or fax the Sponsor’s Declaration of Compliance and Release of Liability and Publicity Release Form (the “Form”). By completing and returning the Form, and accepting the prize, the winner confirms compliance with these Official Rules, acknowledges that the prize must be accepted as awarded and cannot be substituted or transferred, releases the Sponsor, FRHI, their respective affiliates, partners, advertising and promotional agencies, prize suppliers, the independent contest organization, and each of their respective shareholders, directors, officers, employees and agents (collectively the "Releasees") from and against all liability in connection with the Contest and/or the awarding and use/misuse of the prize, and consents to the use of his/her name, address (city and province/territory), and/or photograph, without further notice or remuneration, in connection with any publicity carried out by or on behalf of the Releasees with respect to the Contest. The travel guest of the prize winner and/or his/her parent or legal guardian if the travel guest is under the age of majority in his/her province/territory of residence will be required to sign and return a guest Declaration and Publicity Release Form. Both Forms must be returned within the time period specified on the Form or the prize will be forfeited. Upon receipt of the Forms and within thirty (30) days the prize Winner will be contacted by the Sponsor or a designated agent to begin booking his/her trip.
- CONDITIONS OF ENTRY: By entering the Contest, entrants (i) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules including all eligibility requirements, and (ii) agree to be bound by the Official Rules and by the decisions of the independent contest organization and/or Sponsor, made in its sole discretion, which shall be final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest. Entrants who have not complied with these Official Rules will be disqualified.
- If a dispute arises regarding who submitted an on-line registration or entry, the registration and entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address provided at the time of entry. An “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. An entrant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the registration and entry.
- GENERAL: The Releasees do not assume any responsibility and are not responsible for: (i) the incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry information; (ii) entries which fail to comply with the Official Rules; (iii) any loss, damage, or claims caused by the awarded Prize or the Contest itself; (iv) any failure of the website during the Contest Period, including any problems, human or technical error, printing errors, lost, delayed, or garbled data or transmissions, omissions, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone or computer lines, or technical malfunction of any computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail; or on-line registration to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer or other electronic devices related to or resulting from downloading any material in the Contest, all of which may affect a person’s ability to participate in the Contest; or (v) any other matter whatsoever. Registration/Entry material/data that have been tampered with or altered are void.
- All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrants and the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, (i) the laws of the Province of Québec and construed in accordance with the Federal, Provincial, and Municipal laws applicable therein in respect of residents of the Province of Québec, and (ii) the laws of the Province of Ontario and construed in accordance with the Federal, Provincial, and Municipal laws applicable therein in respect of residents of the other Canadian provinces/territories, without regard to conflicts of law principles. Any attempt by a participant or any other individual to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. This Contest is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial, and Municipal laws. PRIZE IS AWARDED “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER BY THE SPONSOR OR PRIZE PROVIDERS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY AS TO MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR INTENDED PURPOSE.
- The Sponsor reserves the right, with the consent of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, to terminate or suspend this Contest or to amend the Official Rules at any time and in any way, without prior notice, for any reason whatsoever. Without limiting the foregoing, if for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, for example as a result of tampering or infection by computer virus, the Sponsor reserves the right, with the consent of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, to terminate the Contest and conduct a random draw from all other eligible entries received prior to the termination of the Contest.
- For Quebec residents, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this Contest may be submitted to the Régie for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
- INDEMNIFICATION BY ENTRANT: By entering the Contest, each entrant releases and holds the Sponsor and Releasees harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to the entrant, or any other person, including personal injury, death or property damage, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize, participation in this Contest, any breach of these Official Rules, or in any prize-related activity. The entrant agrees to fully indemnify Sponsor and Releasees from any and all claims by third parties relating to the Contest, without limitation.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: All intellectual property, including but not limited to trade-marks, trade names, designs, promotional materials, drawings, illustrations, logos, slogans and representations are owned by either the Sponsor and/or their respective affiliates or authorized licensors. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted materials or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.
Prize may not be exactly as shown.
Other trademarks and trade names are those of its respective owners.